Here's a little pen roll I made to go along with the t-shirt for Miss O's 8th birthday.
I know there are many crayon/marker/pencil/etc rolls out there, but I'd never made one before.So, here's how I made mine.
- Fold fabric in half (approx. 14" x 14" prior to fold).
- Stitch along one end and the length
- Trim corners, flip right side out, press
- Fold open end in approx 1/2", press & pin
- Fold 18" length of ribbon and pin within the opening
- Stitch around outside edge, closing open end and securing ribbon in the process.
- I added a triple stitch along the ribbon end.
- Cut a strip of wool felt (approx. 14" x 1")
- Sew ends of felt in place
- Divide length by number of pens to hold, and mark with pins
- Stitch forward and back across the felt at each pin marking
- (The fabric I used was busy, so I just stitched through the whole deal, but if one wanted a really clean appearance on the outside of the roll, the felt strip should be attached first.)