Monday, April 23, 2012

national zucchini bread day


So did you know there is a 'National Zucchini Bread Day'? I didn't either. But I stumbled across news of this random holiday and thought, how ridiculous ...but what a perfect excuse to finally use up the remaining zucchini I had in the freezer from last summer's harvest. ( I always seem to end up with a couple of neglected zucchini the size of baseball bats...which end being grated and frozen...and taking up way too much of our freezer space.)

My favorite zucchini bread recipe is that of my grandmother.

GRANDMA NINA'S ZUCCHINI BREAD


3 eggs                                       3 c. flour
1 c. vegetable oil                      1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. white suger                        1 tsp. baking powder
2 c. grated zucchini                   1 tsp salt
2 tsp. vanilla                             1 tsp cinnamon
                                                1/2 c. nuts (your choice & optional)

+ Preheat oven to 325°
+ Grease and flour two 8"x4" loaf pans  (I used 2 3"x6" loaf pans & 12 muffin cups)
+ Beat eggs, oil, sugar, zucchini, and vanilla together
+ Sift dry ingredients together in separate bowl, then add to zucchini mixture
+ Bake at 325° for 1 hour (25 min for muffins, 35 min for 3"x 6" loafs)


Our family isn't fond of nuts in our food, so I always leave them out.  This recipe has a crunchy sweet crust, and soft moist interior.  Around our house, it disappears quickly.

I whipped up a couple of labels and flags to celebrate as well.  Because it's really not a national holiday if there aren't cupcake flags to go along with it.  Click on the image below to download a copy.



National Zucchini Bread Day is officially on Wednesday, April 25th...so get baking!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely!
    I do have a question though: how do you print on that plastic wrap for the loaves, and where did you get the plastic wrap?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gabi! It's not actually printed on the plastic wrap...you can use printable full sheet adhesive labels (found at office supply stores), print the file onto the label and cut out...or you can do what I did and use plain paper with double sided tape :) I actually gave loaves to my kid's teachers and the labels stayed on and smooth with just the tape...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a girl after my own heart. These labels are so silly and so adorable. I worked in popcorn for awhile so I'm familiar with many national food days, but had not heard of zucchini's day until now! Shouldn't it be in the fall?? :) What program do you use or how do you create all these printables? We are attending a Harvest Potluck in a couple weeks for our CSA and something like this would be perfect to bring!

    ReplyDelete